Thursday, July 16, 2015

How many times can I hit that like button?


            Intrigued, I read a column from a writer who decided to stop hitting the “like” button on Facebook.

Elan Morgan said she didn’t want to help Facebook’s advertisers track her online life. She wanted to know what would happen if she stopped liking posts and instead added comments. In that way, she could reconnect with people through words.

            There’s a lot of merit in what she wrote, but frankly, this world needs a lot more likes, and I don’t care if Facebook knows what I like.

            This is what they’ll find – I love desserts. If somebody posts a recipe for a chocolate cake with chocolate filling and chocolate icing, I’m liking that bad boy from here to Tuesday.

            Likewise with any dessert that includes crushed candy bars on top. I liked a recipe for one calling for a can of sweetened condensed milk, a whole jar of caramel topping and Butterfinger candy bars and my hips are still not speaking to me. I’m seeing a lot more recipes for desserts on my Facebook feed, and all I can say is “bring it on.”

            I also “like” pictures people post of their family, and if your son or daughter loses a tooth, catches a huge fish or wins a trophy, I’ll immediately “like” that post because I know you’re a proud parent.

If you post a picture of your grandbaby, I’ll “like” that picture a dozen times over. That’s because I know what it’s like to be over-the-moon crazy about your grandchildren. I’ll take it further and comment that her smile is gorgeous, his rosy cheeks are adorable and she looks just like her mama.

And if Facebook wants to track that I love babies, then track away, social media giant.

            If you post a YouTube video of the stupidest answers from “Family Feud,” I will immediately “like” that post. In a world of apocalypse endings, crooked politicians and global warming -- oh, I’m sorry, climate change -- a laugh from the question “name something that comes after the word pork” and the contestant’s answer is “cupine,” is exactly what I need. Track away.

            I won’t “like” your obscene or vulgar links on Facebook, and I’ll admit to being a fuddy-duddy when I see photos of young girls in “hoochie-mama” clothes.

A word of advice girls – don’t debase yourself by posting half naked selfies to the world. Have more dignity and pride and remember that true beauty comes from the inside. Not your bosom.

            I also won’t “like” stupid human trick videos because somebody’s always getting hurt, and I don’t find that humorous. I’ll watch your smart dog tricks videos all evening long but politely skip over any video of a cat.

            I’ll “like” your vacation pictures but I wish there was a “green-with-envy” button. I laugh over the Maxine posers and the snarky e-cards with comments like “I just wanted to lose weight by staying in bed, watching TV and eating Girl Scout cookies. Is that really too much to ask?”  

            For those with sad posts, such as the passing of a relative or the loss of a pet, “liking” the post is surface sympathetic. If I can, I’ll pull an old-fashioned move and give you a phone call because nothing beats human contact.  

            While I think Morgan has valid points, I’ll not be stingy with my “likes.” If that means Facebook knows I like dogs, ice cream and clips from “The Office,” I’ll keep hitting that button and add to the positivity in this world.

            Even if, sigh, you post a video of your cat.
 
This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.

No comments: