Thursday, May 28, 2015

Learning to dance in the rain

The lightning show was incredible. Throughout the night, my living room lit up as if I’d flipped a giant light switch on and off and there were a thousand sparklers in the room.

A second later, the skies rumbled and roared so forcefully, the house shuddered. The rain pounded on the side of the house so hard, I thought it would take the paint off.

            It’s tough to look at the pictures of flooded highways in Houston and not feel sorry for all those who lost property or were scared during the rampage. Not to offend those affected by the flooding, people in California, farmers or gardeners, but oh, there are times I miss the drought.

            For the past five years, most of Texas didn’t see a drop of rain. This year, the drought ended, and we’re getting the rain we prayed for.

But there are things about the drought I found myself missing as our dog sat across my lap in the middle of the night, shaking with fear from the storm outside.

            Mosquitoes. When we were in the middle of the drought, we went to an outdoor concert, and it never occurred to me to bring mosquito repellent.

            Now with the rains, I can’t walk to my mailbox without spraying myself with “Off.” Coming home, I opened the car door to get the newspaper at the end of the driveway, and, not thinking, left the door open.

By the time I closed the door, there were 10 hungry mosquitoes buzzing around in my car.

            Umbrellas. For five years, I never wondered where I’d left my umbrella. When the drought ended, I had to search all over the house for one. The umbrella I did find was dry rotted from lack of use and I had to throw it away.

            Outside parties. We never had to wonder if we’d have to cancel an outdoor event during the long, dry spell. We knew it wasn’t going to rain for weeks. Swim party? Any day from May through September was just fine. Not only no rain but no mosquitoes – double bonus.

            No surprises. The weather forecast for 2010-2014 was – hot, hotter, hotter than Hades. Every single day. At the time, it was miserable, but with all these rains, flooded streets and never knowing if the skies are going to open up and drench everything in sight, a little dry spell would be welcome.

            Fire ants. These vicious little critters are the scourge of the earth, worse than locusts and stinging caterpillars. During the drought, they escaped deep underground and weren’t as much of a problem.

            Now that it’s raining, it’s as if they signaled each hibernating colony to rise up and build mega-cities across our lawn. The company that discovers a way to eradicate these beasts, short of a flame thrower, should win every science prize ever invented.

            To be fair, there are things I missed during the drought – a sky filled with fluffy white clouds, rainbows after a late-afternoon shower, splashing through water puddles and the sounds of light rain on the roof.

            But after seeing a sky filled with ominous black clouds, late-afternoon showers that last for days, water puddles that turn into raging rivers and rain on the roof that sounds as if angry aliens are starting an invasion, I’m feeling a bit nostalgic for dusty roads.

            I suppose we’ll have to take what Mother Nature dishes out, get out our boots and dance in the rain.  
 
This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.

No comments: