Thursday, May 16, 2013

The magic of Pinterest


            I'm not someone who enjoys cooking, and that's why I'm always on the prowl for easy recipes. When I was a new mother, I searched for recipes that could magically combine nutrition and taste.

            For instance, dark chocolate is known to lower blood pressure and walnuts are known to boost brain power. Therefore, chocolate walnut brownies with a side scoop of chocolate ice cream must be healthy.

            Whenever my friends and I would get together, we'd taste each others' new desserts and, our mouths filled with whipped cream, mumble "I've got to have that recipe." Weeks might go by before we got around to sending that recipe along in the mail.

            But then the Internet came along, and we found ourselves regularly trolling professional cooking sites. Instead of waiting to buy Emeril Lagasse's latest cookbook, we could check out Emeril's blog and print out a recipe in a matter of minutes.

            Outstanding amateur cooks began creating their own blogs, complete with photos. Some of them, though, didn't quite understand that not all of us keep tahini sauce or Brie cheese in the refrigerator.

            But many of them did understand that there's thousands of inepts out there looking for secret tips and hints. When I found these honest blogs, I was hooked.

            No more believing a recipe that calls for a 30-minute bake time when the actual confection requires at least 45 minutes in the oven. No more caved-in banana bread that's raw in the middle but burnt on the edges because we didn't know the secret strategy of lowering the temperature 25 degrees.

            Cooking bloggers save the day.

            Just when I thought my kitchen life couldn't get any easier, along comes Pinterest. My sisters introduced me to this online bulletin board, and I can see why they adore this site and repin their favorites.

            From ideas for decorating bathrooms to Houdini-inspired hair styles, Pinterest has everything the do-it-yourselfer could ever want.

            Who knew how easy it could be to make a paper-cone wreath or that taking an old picture frame, covering the back with burlap and then using the glass as a dry erase marker could work for making a shabby-chic kitchen writing board.

            The avid do-it-yourselfer will find instructions on making soap that looks like a snake's skin or a step-by-step illustrated guide to reupholstering a sofa.

            If you're not handy with a pressure cooker or a glue gun, Pinterest has dozens of advertisers who will gladly steer you to their store's Website where you can have something similar for 10 times the price.

            One night, I decided to see just how deep the how-to articles ran. So I typed in random search words and now know Pinterest pinners can teach you how to train a dog to stop barking.

            They can teach you how to put on eye shadow, complete with a diagram for subtle shading. Seventy six people not only wanted to know this technique, but they shared the article with dozens of their friends.

            The folks at Pinterest do have a good sense of humor. They seldom explain how to make wine, but they have lots of projects for what to do with all your empty wine bottles. Hint, a chandelier and candelabras top the list.

            After looking at dozens of fun projects, I'm inspired to get moving and be productive. Perhaps I'll whip up some chocolate marshmallow fudge, mix up a home-made mosquito repellent or rewire the kitchen.

            I think I'll go for the fudge.

            With walnuts.

 This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.

No comments: