Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hearing beauty


            For months, I've been watching fun Houston events pass me by, thinking I couldn't navigate my way to some of the activities I'd read about or thinking I should stay home and catch up on chores. I came across an old needle-point picture that reminded me that cleaning and scrubbing can wait until tomorrow.

            And so I found myself maneuvering through the one-way streets of downtown Houston Saturday night to hear the Houston Symphony and one of my favorite singing groups, Pink Martini, live in concert.

            For the first time in my life, I was going to hear a big-city symphony orchestra, and I really didn't know what to expect. I've heard high school orchestras perform, and I've listened to countless symphony recordings courtesy of YouTube.

            But I've never heard a full-fledged orchestra of professional musicians perform at a live concert. After finding my seat, I uncomfortably knew I was in the minority.

            My Capri slacks and comfortable sandals didn't quite measure up to the $200 designer dresses and $500 shoes all around me. Feeling like I wanted to crawl under the seat, I was rescued by a genteel lady in her late 70s sitting next to me. Her warm smile made me feel comfortable, and she answered my questions about the orchestra and the hall.

            I found out the Houston Symphony is preparing to celebrate their 100th year in 2014, and they offer a variety of concerts throughout the year. After almost 20 years in Houston, I was a bit ashamed that I'd never taken the time to attend a single performance.

            As the lights dimmed and the musicians sat upright and still in their chairs, I found myself holding my breath. Then Michael Krajewski, the principal pops conductor of the Houston Symphony, raised his baton, and the violins, violas, trombones, trumpets and clarinets began weaving their magic.     

            All my prior expectations about a symphony concert quickly fell away. I thought I'd hear only classical music, but I recognized the Gershwin songs they played.

            I expected symphony musicians to be mostly older people. But I was quite surprised as the orchestra is comprised of people of all ages and nationalities.

            A female flute player with corn rows was seated next to a young man who looked like he'd just finished his senior year in high school. A musician, who seemed to be in his 80's, was playing alongside a serious young girl with straight black hair.

            These musicians could be people in the grocery store, squeezing the lettuce or examining the labels on the mayonnaise. They could be the girl working in the college book store or the young man parking cars at the Astros game.

            Seemingly ordinary people with extraordinary skills and talent were delighting hundreds of music aficionados and people like me who weren't quite sure what to expect. The music brought me to tears, made me smile and made me think about the beauty people can create when they pick up a musical instrument.

            When the orchestra played their last song, I realized the symphony isn't just for River Oaks residents or grand dames with diamonds on every finger. The symphony is for everyone who wants to experience the joy of hearing notes that artfully weave around each other to create music that transports the listener to a world of harmony and acoustic beauty.

            I'd originally gone to hear Pink Martini perform, a group my friends Bob and Denise Haenel introduced me to, but I reaped much more than hearing this talented group perform.

            I was able to hear beauty.

 This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.

No comments: