Saturday, September 5, 2015

Sometimes a warning is all we need

         The first day of school is always an exciting one. Teachers, like students, have a backpack filled with new supplies, from pencils to glue sticks. There’s nothing like getting to school a little early to catch up with people we haven’t seen all summer, and I’m no exception.
            I was so excited the first day that I didn’t watch my speedometer on Airport Avenue. Until I saw the Rosenberg police car and the blue and red lights started flashing. I was the only vehicle on the road, so I knew the officer was after me.
            I usually don’t speed for two reasons:  first, it’s unsafe and somebody could get hurt. Second: I’m too cheap to pay a speeding ticket. The last time I got a ticket was in Louisiana about 15 years ago, and that one set me back over a hundred bucks. No telling what a speeding fine costs these days.
            When I came to a stop, my heart was pounding, and I was beating myself up for not paying more attention to my speed. When Officer Kraus came up to the window, he asked for my insurance card, explaining I was exceeding the speed limit.
            Nervously, I tried to explain why I was speeding but then stopped talking – I was guilty. As he ran my plates, I wondered how I’d fit defensive driving into my week and how much my insurance rates were going up because of my ticket.
            Officer Kraus came back to the car and said he was going to give me a warning. What? No ticket? I was flabbergasted. He wished me a good day and told me to watch the speed limits, especially in the mornings as youngsters were now on the road.
            As I drove off, I was grateful yet mindful of my speed. The warning was what I needed to get my mind back on driving instead of my to-do list. But I couldn’t say I was as good to others as the officer had been to me.
So many times, we’re quick to throw the book at someone. We curse and swear at someone who pulls out in front of us and we honk and tailgate someone who’s driving too slowly.
We question the IQ level of a co-worker because they lost an important document or spell a few words wrong. We seldom give that person the benefit of the doubt – perhaps they’re going through a tough time or lost their concentration for a few minutes.
            Instead of bringing the hammer down on someone, maybe a warning is all we need to get us back on the right path. A doctor’s visit that finds our cholesterol count is higher than it should be is enough to get us into an exercise regimen where we’re counting calories and our blessings.
            A warning is often all we need to make sure we’re doing what we’re supposed to be doing; and because we get that lucky break, we’re grateful and more careful as we move forward.
            With the recent horrific and senseless tragedies against our police officers, I want to recognize Officer Kraus for being one of the good guys. He’s not the only one out there. Day after day, police officers in countless cities risk their lives every time they put on their uniform.
Thank you, Officer Kraus and the rest of the officers in our midst who watch and protect us. The next time I see an officer get out of his or her squad car, I’m going to keep an eye out for them and, if I see anything suspicious, shout out a warning.
Sometimes, that’s what we need.
This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.

No comments: