Saturday, November 15, 2014

Customer Service - a lost art?


            I stopped at a local stationery supply store, picked up what I needed and went to the check-out counter. I waited for a few minutes and then started searching for someone to run the register.

            There were three employees behind the copy desk on the other side of the store, so I asked if somebody could open the check-out line. One said I had to come over to the copy center. So I went back, picked up all my items and walked to the other side of the store.

            I was a little miffed. I was in a hurry and that's why I went into the office supply store instead of a big box store. I mentioned to the teenager checking me out that perhaps they should put a sign at the check-out register for customers to walk over to the copy center.

            The look she gave me could have withered steel.

            As she was shoving my purchases into a bag, an elderly gentleman slowly shuffled up to the counter. He carried an old-fashioned briefcase with scuffed edges, and it took effort for him to lift the case up to the counter.

            He pulled out a worn three-ring binder filled with papers and said he wanted to get a new binder. The girl checking me out totally ignored him, but another clerk told him to go to Aisle 5.

            "Where?" he asked, obviously not able to hear her clearly.

            She yelled "Aisle 5" at him and pointed across the store.

            I leaned over and told the gentleman that as soon as I finished, I'd help him find Aisle 5.

            The clerk checking me out rolled her eyes. The other clerk looked at me, and I mouthed the words "You should help this man. That's your job."

            To her credit, she immediately told the man she'd walk with him and help him find the binder.

            My clerk barked she was ready for me to pay.

            Many of us buy our gifts and supplies online, so we seldom deal with a real human. It's easy to get ticked off when encountering rude store clerks, but perhaps today's workers aren't trained in customer service.

            So here's a few guidelines: 

            Smile. Even if you're making minimum wage, you're getting a paycheck to help customers. The reason that store is in business is because people come in and buy items. Your sour attitude means they won't be back.

            Know your establishment. If a customer comes in wanting 40-watt bulbs, you need to know where they are and if they're in stock. Customers don't expect you to know how to re-wire a house, but they do expect you to know your products.  

            The customer is always right. That's a tough one because more often than not, the customer is wrong. They misread the price, they misunderstood the sales flyer or they can't get the coupon to come up on their phone. Agree with them, find the right answer, smile and reassure them mix ups happen all the time.

            Don't insult the customer. If someone takes the time to spend their dollars locally, don't make them feel stupid. They won't come back.

            Customer service is more than learning how to run the computer. It's more than using a headset or knowing the difference between a tablet and a laptop.

            Customer service is when someone happily leaves the store where you work and then comes back another day because the employees made them feel important.

            Perhaps solving the dilemma of poor customer service is simply a matter of teaching employees that customer satisfaction starts with them.

This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.

2 comments:

Jeff Hebert said...

I still remember how rude they were at the Burger Kind by our house when I was growing up. They wouldn't stop their conversations to take my order, even! To this day I have a bad attitude about Burger Kings, that kind of stuff lingers.

Denise said...

I remember one really rude customer at a fast food joint in Baton Rouge... what a witch she was...