Thursday, July 17, 2014

I'm tired of the bullies


            For some people, the perfect way to relax is hiking. For others, serenity involves a long warm bath. For me, it's time spent on the beach.

            There's the rhythmic sound of the surf, gulls laughing overhead and the fresh smell of salt water. Five minutes sitting on the sand and I'm instantly calm.

            Until Mother Nature's lullaby is shattered by insensitive people who think everybody within 50 feet of their boom box wants to hear their music.

            That's what happened to me during a recent trip to the Gulf.

            I love to set up my umbrella and chair early in the morning when the beach is quiet and watch the waves as they perform an ageless tidal waltz.

             I'm not alone – there's runners and fast walkers, couples casually looking for seashells and people who stroll along the shore, laughing when the water circles their ankles.

            There's groups who play music softly so everybody can enjoy the beach. And then there's the group that plays music as loud as they can, gets drunk and ruins any chance for a relaxing family day.

            Unfortunately for me, that last group decided to show up, boom box and beer cans in full force during our vacation. The first day, they carried on until after sun went down. I fumed but said nothing.

            The next morning, I bought ear plugs, knowing deep down I was being a coward by not confronting them.

            Sure enough, they came down to the beach right before lunch and started the whole process up again – I could hear the popping of the beer cans right before they cranked up the boom box.

            That was the final straw. I walked over to their party and asked them to please turn the music down so those of us who seek the quiet could enjoy that as well.

            They were stunned, but as I walked back to my umbrella, they turned the music up even louder and started yelling profanities.

            That night, I wrote them a letter and, the next morning, tucked it inside their umbrella. I have no idea if they read the letter or if what I wrote made any difference because we left to come home.

            But their reaction wasn't the point.

            I'm tired of bullies.

            I'm tired of people cutting me off in traffic with only inches to spare between their bumper and mine.

            I'm tired of people who run right up in front of me while I'm in the grocery line when a checker opens up because they think their time is more important than everybody else's.

            I'm tired of obnoxious people who get their way at the expense of others, like me, who are afraid of the consequences.

            When I walked over to ask them to turn down their music, not turn it off, my stomach was churning. While they continued to yell at me and make obscene gestures, I was a little afraid.

            But when I saw there were teens and children with them, I felt sorry for the youngsters because of the example they were being shown and was glad I mustered up the guts to go over there.

            If they'd turned the music down, they could've taught their children to consider others' needs and not just their own. Conversely, we teach them to be selfish, rude and obnoxious through crude behavior.

            I ended the letter thanking them for giving me a column idea – to remind myself and others that living a life of consideration and respect, fueled with a bit of courage, is the right road to take.

 This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald. Thank you, Brett Downer, for the great headlines week after week.

No comments: