Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving thanks for the little things


            In elementary school, Thanksgiving activities required us to dress up like a Pilgrim and write down everything we were thankful for.

            The list had to include all the big blessings – family, health, faith. I am extremely thankful for those for sure, but there are small blessings that make the days go by a lot smoother.

            To that end, here's my sideline list of what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving:

            - Cupcakes. I can indulge my sweet tooth without blowing my entire diet.

            - Free long distance on my cell phone. I remember the days of watching the clock to make sure we didn't talk too long because of the expense of long distance. Not anymore.

            - Cable. At least 500 channels and, as Bruce Springsteen said, there's nothing on. Unless you  catch reruns of "The Andy Griffith Show."

            - Milk Chocolate. Some candy manufacturers still see the benefit in making pure unadulterated milk chocolate. Some killjoys are trying to convince us that bitter chocolate is better, but who are they kidding. Pass me a Hershey's Kiss any day of the week.

            - Children's laughter. A child laughing with unadulterated joy is the best remedy for anything that ails you. Try and keep a smile off your face when listening to a 6-year-old howl with delight as a puppy licks her face. Yeah, just try.

            - Leftovers on Thanksgiving. Nothing beats a plate filled with home-made turkey and dressing, except that second plate Thanksgiving night.

            - Ignorant people. Idiots remind us to be thankful for the smart people who cross our path.

            - The bathtub. It's a lot quicker to take a shower, but there's nothing like a leisurely soak in the tub after a long day.

            - Balloons. A bouquet of colorful balloons signals somebody has something to celebrate.

            - Cotton. Sure cotton shirts have to be ironed, they wrinkle and occasionally shrink. But nothing, as the commercial says, beats the touch and feel of 100 percent cotton.

            - Back-yard vegetable gardens. As a city girl, I haven't a clue how to start or maintain a garden. But when a neighbor shares his or her bounty with me, I am forever thankful I know what a genuine tomato, squash and cucumber tastes like.

            - Campfires. The Texas drought went on for so long, I'd almost forgotten how relaxing it is to sit next to a crackling fire late at night.

            - Books. I don't care if it's an electronic book, a book on CD or a paper book. Nothing is better at washing away cares and troubles than losing one's self in a book.

            - The library. The world is literally at your fingertips either by visiting a library or downloading books from your home computer. For free.

            - Automatic transmissions. Some people don't think it's really driving unless you're pushing on the clutch and downshifting. Been there. Done that. Give me the luxury of putting my car in "D" any day of the week.

            - Dogs and cats. I'm not an animal person. We didn't have pets growing up and I never sought out having a pet. But with a son who adores animals, there was no way we weren't getting him a dog. And despite my griping about dog spit, I don't know what I'd do without the comfort and company of ole Channell. She's a keeper.

            None of these items would earn me an "A" in Mrs. Krenzer's class, but they sure do make daily living a lot less hassle free. And for that, I am thankful.

 This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.  

No comments: