Thursday, August 18, 2011

Transporting the Tots

Whenever I'm getting ready to leave the house, I put everything I think I'm going to need in my purse. That includes my car keys, the current grocery list and letters to mail.

In under a minute, I can pick up my purse and head out the door.

I was reminded how few things I need on the road when taking my daughter-in-law and grandchildren out for lunch. It doesn't make sense, but the lighter and younger the child, the more equipment he or she needs, even for a quick trip.

First, there's the car seats.

Having children safely secured in a vehicle is of the utmost importance to me, and manufacturers make sure infant and child safety seats are not only reliable but trendy. Most models feature a five-point harness, chest slips, a built-in recliner and holders for a sippy cup.

These mini Barcaloungers are surprisingly heavy.

Wishing to be helpful, I volunteered to carry my grandson in the car seat to buckle him in, and I might as well have been in the gym. The car seat alone weighs over 20 pounds. Add in a 10-pound baby, and we're talking a work out that'll put wrestler-sized biceps on anybody.

Then there's the diaper bag. Forget tucking a single diaper and some wipe ups in one's purse. No, today's parent has to carry at least six or seven Sesame Street disposable diapers, skin-sensitive wipe ups, ointment, swabs, non-perfumed powder, toys, extra pacifiers, two or three changes of clothes, a blanket and two or three spit-up towels.

That alone adds another five pounds to mom's already backbreaking load.

And let's not forget the stroller.

I remember an old pram my mom had in the attic. The oversized buggy had big wheels, and it bounced up and down like a trampoline, an activity my siblings and I enjoyed immensely, especially when a younger brother or sister was inside the pram.

Over the years, manufacturers streamlined prams, morphing them into strollers. But no ordinary strollers. They're now promoted as travel systems, featuring modern swivel wheels with a suspension system that creates a sleek, smooth ride, the Rolls Royce for the younger set.

A basic stroller, I mean travel system, sets parents back about $180. They weigh 22 pounds, that's without the baby, and come in three or four parts. And, yes, it requires a degree in mechanical engineering to put them together.

And then there's the baby accessories. Just as a teenage girl needs her cell phone and lip gloss, modern babies have their own must-have items for an outing.

Let's start with the outfit.

When I went shopping for baby clothes for our grandson, I was shocked at how the prices have risen over the years. A simple outfit – a shirt and shorts – starts out at $14.95. No well-dressed little prince is complete without the baby Air Jordans, and those shoes retail for $47.

That's right – almost 50 bucks for "pre-walks," shoes that never hit the pavement. Throw in some "baby bling" for the girls, and a pair of pink glitter sneakers for our little princesses will set buyers back a minimum of $45.

After 30 minutes of filling the trunk with the diaper bag, stroller, extra clothes for two children and the back seat with the uber-heavy car seat, a "Pinkalicious" book, a pink toddler car seat and a bag of Goldfish crackers for our granddaughter, I thought we were finally ready to head out.

Until I realized I'd forgotten my purse.

Heading back into the house, I realized that when and if more grandchildren join the family, we're going to need a truck just to haul around baby stuff.

A big truck.

This column was previously published in The Fort Bend Herald.

1 comment:

Devoni said...

So true! How did our kids survive and thrive without all these contraptions and gadgets and pricey clothes? I got by with an umbrella stroller and a plastic infant seat, strapped to the car's front bench seat, facing forward. Nowadays, it's often easier to just stay home. :))