Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A life of yellow and red lights

I was at the park with my granddaughter recently, and she decided to head toward a tall slide, quickly putting some distance between us.
"Don't climb up the ladder until I get there," I called after her.

"Why?" asked the 3-year-old over her shoulder.

"Because you could get hurt," I said.

Later, as I was pushing her on the swings, she pleaded for me to push her higher. I told her she was already going high enough.

"But I want to go higher," she said.

"You could get hurt -- this is high enough," I told her.

It wasn't until the fifth time I cautioned her about not attempting something a little bit daring that I realized how many negatives had come out of my mouth in just one afternoon.

Don't get near that ant pile. Don't jump in that water puddle. Don't climb so high.

My granddaughter had approached the park with enthusiasm and excitement. I'd slowly but surely squeezed a good bit of that glee out of our afternoon. .

Somewhere along the way, I've gone from believing life is a wonderful adventure to becoming a human caution light -- all yellows and reds.

So many times, we approach a situation paying attention to only the warning signs flashing in front of us.

Don't ask for time off because you'll just have to make it up later.

Don't travel because it's too expensive.

Don't sleep in on Saturday morning because you have work to do.

Brian Stokes Mitchell is one of my favorite singers. He's a popular Broadway performer, but last year, he came to Houston for a one-night-only show.

I talked myself out of going for a variety of reasons -- the tickets were too expensive, I didn't have anyone to go with and his show was on a work night.

What I should've thought about was how wonderful it would've been to hear Mitchell sing "The Impossible Dream" and "The Wheels of a Dream" in person.

Instead, I sat home, safe and comfortable in my living room, and I missed the performance, all because something could've gone wrong.

This week, some friends invited me to come with them for a quick dinner and some chit chat. I declined, knowing I needed to go home, finish some paperwork and throw in a load of clothes.

The whole time I was washing dishes and matching up socks, I wistfully thought about my friends and how I wished I'd gone with them.

Sitting on the couch, surrounded by a stack of folded towels, I vowed to find a way to turn my negative, cautionary statements into positive, life-affirming ones and to lean over the edge in life instead of hanging back in the shadows.

So the next time my friends say they're going out for a quick bite after work, I'm going to join them because laundry can wait. Friendships shouldn't.

If one of my favorite singers comes to town, I'm going to the show, even if it means losing a few hours of sleep.

The next time my granddaughter asks to go higher on the swings, I'll push her as high as she can go and pretend we're reaching for rainbows.

And when that 3-year-old comes down the tall playground slide, I'll be sitting and sliding right behind her, both of us grinning from ear to ear, caution thrown to the wind.

Because life should be illuminated by green lights, not yellow and red ones.

This column was originally published in The Fort Bend Herald.

1 comment:

Jeff Hebert said...

GREAT column! Carpe diem, baby!