Sunday, December 5, 2010

The beauty in Brazos Bend

When I was 19, I bought my first grown-up camera. I remember driving around, snapping pictures of flowers and buildings. My blurry Pentax photos far outweighed the ones in focus, but each photo reminded me of something I enjoyed seeing at the time.

Many years later, I still enjoy taking pictures, and digital photography makes the hobby a lot more affordable. Looking at some of my favorite pictures years later always brings a smile to my face, even if they're not the best quality.

After days of gray, cold weather, I'd had enough of staying cooped up, so my husband and I headed out to Brazos Bend State Park. I had my camera in hand, and my husband laced up his hiking shoes.

I've visited the park many times over the years, the scariest as a Cub Scout leader leading 10 boys on a hike and coming across a hefty 10-foot alligator sunning himself on the trail.

Our first stop was 40-Acre Lake, and there were quite a few visitors enjoying the day. Children were laughing and romping on the playground, and their parents were sitting at nearby picnic tables, talking and watching the kids play.

We headed out on the trail and found peace and quiet. There's the natural sounds of ducks quacking and tree frogs croaking, but those are reassuring sounds and, I realized, quite a change from the city noise I've almost grown immune to hearing.

We walked out on the pier, and I marveled at how huge the Texas sky seemed overhead and how alive the lake seemed, teeming with plants, butterflies, birds and dragonflies.

As far as the eye could see, an almost neon-green carpet of duck weed floated on the top of the water, creating gentle circles around the mottled lily pads, a Monet painting unfolding right in front of our eyes.

Returning to the trail, we strolled quietly, pausing to watch a snowy white egret standing in the blue-black waters and chuckling as we passed noisy ducks rambling around in the reeds. We rounded another corner, and a huge alligator was slumbering on the path.

We took a wide berth around that fellow, tiptoeing past a few summer daisies hanging on to the last bits of warm weather. Half way around the lake, we sat underneath a shade tree for a long time, quietly taking in the view.

There's a serenity and calm about the outdoors, and Brazos Bend is an outstanding place to re-energize your soul and connect with nature, something easily overlooked in a society where we're constantly bombarded with noise.

On the way out, we spotted a sign for the park's "A Simple Christmas" celebration this coming Saturday. Park Ranger Sharon Hanzik said the event starts at noon Saturday and park guests can escape the rush and roar of city life and relax.

There'll be hay rides, Dutch oven cooking demonstrations and people dressed as early Texas pioneers, spinning a Texas tall tale or two. Take a turn at roasting some marshmallows over an open fire and making gooey s'mores.

Youngsters will enjoy spreading peanut butter on pine cones and sprinkling them with bird seed to create back-yard bird feeders.

Then from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., the Brazos River Pickers will entertain the guests, and these guitarists and strummers are fabulous. Admission to the park is $5 a person ages 13 and older, and children ages 12 and younger are admitted for free. Seniors can receive a discount.

Browsing through my photos that night, I felt relaxed and refreshed, and the pictures reminded me that sometimes simple is better than complicated. At least on an overcast Sunday afternoon taking a quiet and uncomplicated stroll around the lake.

This article, and some photos, were previously published in The Fort Bend Herald. To see more photos, visit my Facebook page.

No comments: