Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thank You, Father Howard

Our parish priest is being assigned to a new parish, and we're really going to miss him. Here's a letter I sent to the bishop, thanking Father Howard for his service.

Your Eminence:  As a life-long Catholic, I’ve been blessed to know dozens of priests. But Howard Drabek, our departing pastor at Sacred Heart in Richmond, is a true blessing.

I know Father Howard both as a parishioner and as a reporter. For years, I was the Religion editor at our local newspaper, and Father Howard was one of eight rotating column writers for the Religion Page. His “Pastor’s Point” columns are extremely popular in the community because he writes with humor and intelligence, gently calling the lost to seek solace in God.

Whenever I’d report on a benefit for the fire or police department, Father Howard was there, good-naturedly serving chicken or barbecue, helping set up and then taking down equipment. In the middle of the night, he would ride with the officers, listening to their worries and saluting them in public on a regular basis.

He also is one of the few men of the cloth who can successfully bridge the gap between faiths. In our area, where non-denominational groups actively solicit our young people, Father Howard keeps our teens and young adults committed to their Catholic roots. In years past, some Catholics had drifted away from the church, but they came back in droves, thanks to Father Howard. Many non-Catholics have asked me about becoming a Catholic because they heard of Father Howard and the dynamic parish he’s building here. Many in our parish are disheartened to see Father Howard transferred, just as his years of work bringing others into the Catholic faith begins to take root on a tree that is starting to bear fruit

At Sacred Heart, his sermons reach all levels of Catholics, from the ones lingering in the back foyer to the faithful on the front row. Under his pastoral leadership, we’ve seen our parish grow to include a renovated chapel and new office buildings. We’ve added outreach programs for adults, teens and parents. Our Mothers Day Out program is a huge success in the community. Sacred Heart’s religious education program has grown exponentially, both for youngsters and adults. As a 20-plus year religious education teacher, I have personally witnessed the positive effect his leadership and personal devotion to God has had on the young.

His humor, insatiable appetite for knowledge, especially about science, and keen insight into the human psyche is evident in the way he lives his personal life and his pastoral life. I remember when he regularly celebrated Mass at the Spanish church in our area. His willingness to laugh at himself, and falter with the language in public, allowed him to build another bridge in the community. As a native of Fort Bend County, he serves as a peaceful liaison between all the parishes, not an easy task, Your Eminence.

Seeing the Drabeks at Mass, including his parents, sister, brother, nieces and extended family, is a living reminder of the importance of family in the Catholic Church. As a writer, I find myself watching people in church, and they are actively involved in the Mass (even the back-row sitters) because they know Father Howard is the “real deal.”

I selfishly wish Father Howard could remain with us at Sacred Heart, and I envy the people in League City. They are receiving a sincere leader, an honorable man of God and one of the most respected and beloved people in Fort Bend County. Father Howard is a true gift from God, and I wanted to thank you for allowing him to shepherd us over the past decade.

We often take our clergy, doctors, teachers and neighbors for granted. But sometimes, it's good to step out and say "thank you." Father Howard, we'll miss you.

6 comments:

Devoni said...

Awesome...but I wouldn't expect anything less written by you. You speak for me and, I'm sure, many others, who could never put our thoughts about Father Howard into words as well as you did. BRAVO!

Ebeth said...

Thank you, Denise. As a former parishoner there at Sacred Heart, I saw both my husband and then teenaged son grow in faith under Fr Howard's spiritual presence. It's been hard moving away so far and truly miss Fr. Howard's sermons and my children dearly loved him.

Wonder if I met you before?

Anyway, thanks. Where did he get transferred?

Blessings!
Elizabeth Weidner

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Mr. Shultz...shame on you! The hate in your tone is not representative of St. Mary's parish. I love my faith but have thought for a long time that St. Mary's was 'stuffy' and out of touch. When Father Howard arrived I felt a sense of validity to the teachings that I had not felt before. His way of teaching during the homily is true to life...There is nothing wrong with not liking someone or not agreeing with people but the nastiness in your writing is not ok. Blessings! I'll see you at mass:) Happy Easter.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As a parishioner of St. Mary's since 2005, I have witnessed a deep spirituality and love of God from both Fr. Cargill and Fr. Howard. While I must admit my interactions with both priests have been limited and I attend Mass one or more times a week, I have not seen anything that remotely comes close to what was described by Mr. Shultz. I prefer the adage (and would like to expand on it)..."if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all (on the internet)."